Potten End Bowls Club
Herts HP4 2QJ
Call Sheila on:
18th April 2019
Little Hay Golf Club
8th November 2019
The Club was first formed by Miss S Courtald – a member of the textile family – in 1929. The strip of land next to the Village Hall was laid as a three rink Bowling Green.
Our first game was played on 15th June 1929 against the Coopers' Recreation Club 2nd team.
Although the Club had only been opened for two months they had made excellent progress and won the match by 14 shots.
A special fund was created in 1953 towards a new green and grew to £850.
The Ladies' Section was formed in 1957 and they played their first game against a ladies' team from Hemel Hempstead – 1 rink only.
By 1960 the Club had raised £2,500. Max Bryan, the Club President at that time, gave part of his land to the Club for a nominal sum, and Ewart Millar, Club Secretary, initiated a do-it-yourself scheme in which Club members toiled for two years to construct a new green and clubhouse.
The new green in Hempstead Lane was opened in the Autumn of 1963 by the President of the Hertfordshire Bowling Association.
In 1989 our Diamond Jubilee was celebrated with extensions to the Clubhouse.
In 1998 we became a mixed Club with a membership of approximately 140 members.
The Club members currently maintain the green, the surrounds and the Clubhouse on a voluntary basis.